Chicken & Mini Potatoes in Creamy Red Wine Sauce
Here is a delicious, quick supper idea for couples, or those living alone, as it only makes two portions. Small batch recipes are a good alternative to buying single serve frozen dinners. Each serving boasts three food guide servings of vegetables. This recipe comes together very quickly so have everything cut and measured ahead of time.
Author: Developed for CFC by Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc
Serves: 2 servings
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 garlic, clove, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL)
mushroms, fresh, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) mini (baby) potatoes, fresh, halved
- 1 cup (250 mL) green beans, fresh, cut in 1 inch (2.5 cm)pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) basil, fresh, shredded
- 1 large chicken breast, boneless skinless (about 250 grams)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ cup (60 mL) red wine
- ½ cup (125 mL) chicken broth, low sodium, ready-to-serve
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chicken broth, low sodium, ready-to-serve
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 2 sprigs basil fresh (optional garnish)
- Slice green onion into rings. Separate white from green. Mince garlic,
slicefresh mushrooms and cut baby (mini) potatoes in half. Trim ends of green beans and cutinto one inch (2.5 cm) lengths. Shred 2 Tbsp (30 ml) fresh basil. Set aside individually.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces approximately ½ inch (1.25 cm) each. Set aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat in a pot until butter is melted. Add the whites of the green onion (reserving the greens for later use.) Add the minced garlic and saute until softened - about 2 minutes. Add the chicken and saute an additional 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced mushrooms, halved mini potatoes, salt and freshly ground black pepper, red wine and ½ cup (125 ml) chicken broth. Stir well. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 25 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Keep the pot covered and don't allow it to boil too hard or the dish can go dry and burn. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, mix the sour cream and 2 Tbsp (30 ml) chicken broth together in a small bowl. Incorporate cornstarch in with a fork. Stir until there are no lumps and cornstarch is well combined.
- Stir sour cream mixture, cut green beans and fresh chopped basil into the pot. Cover and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or just until sauce is thickened and green beans are
- To serve, garnish with the reserved sliced green onion tops and a sprig of fresh basil (optional garnish).
If you don't have fresh basil substitute 1 tsp (5 mL) of dried basil.
Serving size: 380g Calories: 300 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 3.5g Carbohydrates: 23g Sugar: 3g Sodium: 260mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 29g Cholesterol: 70mg