This version of the traditional French Canadian Christmas Eve meat pie is made with chicken instead of beef and pork.
Author: Manitoba Chicken Producers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp EACH mace, salt, thyme, and sage
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 medium potato, cooked and mashed
- pastry for a 9" double crust pie
- Combine ground chicken, onion, garlic and seasonings in a skillet. Stir cook until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from heat and drain off any liquid. Mix in mashed potato and chill.
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Line pie plate with half of the prepared pastry. Fill with the chicken mixture. Place the top crust over the filling, sealing and crimping the edges. Cut slashes in the top crust to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F then reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden. Serve with chili sauce, chutney or tomato salsa.