Chicken and Seafood Paella
A classic Spanish rice dish made with Arborio rice, packed with chicken, sausage, mussels, clams, shrimp and loaded with flavour.
Author: Joanna Cismaru
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs boneless and skinless cut into
- 2 chorizo sausages cut into
1 inchpieces (I used Italian sausages)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ cups arborio rice
- 14 oz can
dicedfire roasted tomatoes (398 ml)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp hot sauce such as Tabasco or Sriracha
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp saffron
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb large shrimp shelled and deveined but keep tails on
- 1 lb clams scrubbed and soaked
- 1 lb mussels scrubbed and soaked
- fresh parsley for garnish
- 1 lemon cut into lemon wedges
- In a large paella pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and sausage, season with salt and pepper, then cook for about 5 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Move the chicken and sausage to one side of the pan, then add the onion to the other half, season with a bit of salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the arborio and fire roasted tomatoes to the pan and stir well. Let the rice cook in the sauce from the tomatoes for about 5 minutes, you will notice it will start to brown on the bottom, which is what you're looking for. Add the broth, hot
sauce,smoked paprika, saffron and season with salt and pepper if needed. Stir everything together and cover with a large lid. Cook for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. The rice will not be cooked through at this time.
- Turn down the heat and stir the rice around a bit, you will notice the crust on the bottom of the pan, that's what you're looking for. Arrange the shrimp, mussels and clams over the rice, cover with a lid again and cook for another 10 minutes or until the mussels and clams open up.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.
Calories: 437 Fat: 13 g Saturated fat: 3.6 g Carbohydrates: 47.8 g Sugar: 6.2 g Sodium: 1224 mg Fiber: 2.5 g Protein: 30.7 g Cholesterol: 125 mg