The Hickory Dickory Cluck Chicken Sandwich
A summer classic! This sandwich gets its kick from the hickory BBQ sauce and is topped with a creamy, crunchy coleslaw.
Author: Chicken Farmers of Canada
- ¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) prepared coarse-ground mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup (125 ml) brown sugar
- 1½ tsp (7.5 ml) salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) olive oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- ½ cup (125 ml) mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp (45 ml)
- 1½ tbsp (25 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) celery seed
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) kosher salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml)
- ½ head of green cabbage,
- ½ head of purple cabbage,
- hot sauce, to taste
- hickory-smoked BBQ sauce
For the Chicken
- In a large glass bowl, mix the apple cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- Grill the chicken breasts on each side for 3 to 4 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Brush with a hickory-smoked BBQ sauce.
For the Creamy Coleslaw
- Combine cabbages and red onion in a large bowl. Set aside.
- To make
dressing, combine mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, celery seed, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add hot sauce to taste. Whisk to combine.
- Toss dressing with the cabbage and onion mixture. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes or preferably overnight to allow flavours to marry.
- Place grilled BBQ-basted chicken breast on a fresh Kaiser roll and a helping of Creamy Coleslaw.