Pear Tomato and Lime BBQ Sauce
This mouthwatering sauce tastes great on chicken!
Author: Alberta Chicken Producers
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 fresh pears, peeled and diced
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp paprika (preferably smoked hot style)
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 regular cans diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 cup raspberry vinegar
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup Splendid brown sugar blend
- ¼ cup lemon juice (5 fresh pressed is preferred)
- Dice onions and pears.
- Put pears into a bowl with water with a drop or two of lime juice to prevent browning.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter then add onions, garlic and ginger.
- Cook onions until they are soft and translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chili powder and paprika, cook for 1 minute.
- Strain the pears and add them to the pot, cook for 5 minutes, the pears need to be soft at this point.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegars, soy sauce and mustard.
- Stir to combine and bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, check the sauce as it should have darkened and thickened.
- The sauce should be smooth, evenly blended and like a thick soup.
- Return pot to medium heat and add the freshly squeezed lime juice and Splenda brown sugar.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and taste.
- For extra sweetness, add Splenda to taste.
- If sauce is too sweet, add more soy sauce.
- Cool the sauce and put into desired containers and refrigerate.