Stacked Tortilla Bake with Chicken Chili
Awesome in flavour and simplicity using Tex Mex favourites - chicken <g class="gr_ gr_64 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="64" data-gr-id="64">chili</g>, cheese and <g class="gr_ gr_56 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="56" data-gr-id="56">wholegrain</g> tortillas. In this <g class="gr_ gr_63 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="63" data-gr-id="63">recipe</g> you make a double batch. Eat them both now if you have a crowd or freeze one for a quick meal when you are in a rush or out of ideas!
Author: Developed for CFC by Nancy Guppy - RD, MHSc
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) lean ground chicken
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano, dried
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin, ground
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) cocoa powder, unsweetened
- ¾ cups (175 ml) salsa, ready to serve
- 2 cups (500 ml) canned diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups (500 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 ml) corn, frozen
- 4 whole wheat tortilla, 9
inch(22 cm) each
- 4 cups (1 litre) mozzarella cheese, part skim, 16.5% MF, grated
- 1 cup (250 ml) green onions, sliced
- ½ cup (125 ml) cilantro, fresh, minced
- 1 cup (250 ml) light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Brown ground chicken in a non-stick skillet using the back of a spoon to break into smaller pieces. Sprinkle in cinnamon, oregano, ground cumin, cayenne pepper,
chilipowder and cocoa powder (optional). Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in salsa, diced canned tomatoes with juice, drained black beans and frozen corn. Remove from heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes to evaporate some of the juices. You should have approximately 8 cups (2 litres) of
- Grate cheese and set aside.
- Spray two 10
inch(25 cm) pie plates with vegetable cooking spray. Create the following layers in each of the two pie plates: spread 1⅓ cup (325 ml) chili over bottom followed by a whole wheat tortilla, 1⅓ cup (325 ml) more chili, 2 cups (500 ml) grated cheese, another tortilla, 1⅓ cup (325 ml) chili and finish with 2 cups (500 ml) of grated cheese. When you are spreading the chiligo out to the edges so the tortillas don't become dry during baking.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 25 to 30 minutes. To serve, sprinkle with sliced green onion. Cut each pie into six equal servings. Serve with the minced cilantro and a dollop of sour cream (optional garnishes).
Serving size: 230 g Calories: 330 Fat: 15 g Saturated fat: 5 g Carbohydrates: 27 g Sugar: 4 g Sodium: 590 mg Fiber: 4 g Protein: 22 g Cholesterol: 55 mg