Cashew Chili Stir-Fry
Here’s a stir-fry using ingredients most of us have in our fridge. If fiery is not for you, omit the <g class="gr_ gr_68 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="68" data-gr-id="68">chili</g> powder completely as well as the red <g class="gr_ gr_69 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="69" data-gr-id="69">chili</g> pepper flakes or increase both if you’re a <g class="gr_ gr_60 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="60" data-gr-id="60">three alarm</g> lover.
Author: Developed for CFC by Monda Rosenberg
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ to 1 cup (250 ml) cashews
- 1 pinch chili powder + 1 tsp (5 ml) chili powder
- 1 pinch salt +1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, large, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ginger, fresh, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sherry
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 ml) hot red
- Slice chicken into ½ inch wide (1 cm) strips, then into bite-size lengths. Toast nuts by spreading out in a frying pan set over medium heat and stir often until they just start to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn onto a plate. Toss with a generous pinch of salt and
- Prepare remaining ingredients before starting to cook. Thinly slice pepper, then cut into bite-size lengths. Cut zucchini into julienne strips. Thinly slice celery and the white part of the green onions. Thickly slice the green portion.
- Mince garlic and ginger. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch with sherry until dissolved. Stir in soy sauce, hoisin and rice wine vinegar.
- To cook, heat canola oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken and stir constantly until it loses its pink
color, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, chicken broth, 1 tsp (5 ml) chilipowder, red chilipepper flakes and ½ tsp (5 ml) salt. Stir occasionally for 2 minutes. Add all the vegetables and stir another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the cornstarch mixture and stir almost constantly until vegetables are done as you like and sauce is coating chicken, about 3 minutes. Mix in half the cashews. Spoon over rice and scatter with remaining nuts.
Serving size: 400 g Calories: 430 g Fat: 15 g Saturated fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 20 g Sugar: 6 g Sodium: 1020 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 51 g Cholesterol: 115 mg