Cheesy Spinach & Chicken Pierogi Casserole
This casserole is so fast and easy to make using frozen pierogies. It is similar to lasagna but takes a lot less effort and is a real crowd pleaser.
Author: Developed for CFC by Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc
- 2 tsp (10 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 ml) onions, diced
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces ½ inch (1.25 cm)
- 3 cups (750 ml) Marinara pasta sauce, low-sodium
- 2 lb (1 kg) potato and cheese pierogies, frozen
- 10 oz (285 g) frozen spinach, defrosted
- 2 cups (500 ml) cheddar cheese, low-fat, shredded
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) low-sodium sun-dried tomato & herb seasoning (or your favourite low-sodium seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Prepare a large 16 x 12 inch (40 x 30 cm) baking pan by spraying with vegetable oil cooking spray or coating with oil.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Dice the onions and cut the chicken breast into bite-size pieces, about ½ inch (1.25 cm) diced. Add to the skillet and cook through and until lightly
browned,about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread 1 cup (250 ml) of sauce over bottom of baking pan. Top with the frozen pierogies arranging them flat side down.
- Spread the package of defrosted spinach evenly over top of pierogies. It isn’t necessary to wring the spinach out.
- Grate cheese. Mix in a bowl with herb seasoning. Sprinkle casserole with half the cheese.
- Sprinkle chicken and onion mixture evenly over.
- Pour over remaining 2 cups (500 ml) of Marinara sauce. Finish by sprinkling remaining cheese and herb mixture over top.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until heated through, pierogies are tender and cheese is lightly browned.
Pierogies are already cooked and don't have to be boiled before using.
Serving size: 250 g Calories: 380 Fat: 8 g Saturated fat: 2.5 g Carbohydrates: 50 g Sugar: 14 g Sodium: 720 mg Fiber: 5 g Protein: 28 g Cholesterol: 45 mg