Chicken Turnovers with Diced Vegetables
This recipe is similar to a chicken pot pie only it is contained in a turnover, making it handy to take for lunch or picnics.
Author: Poulet du Québec
Serves: 4 Servings
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- 1 carrot, large, diced
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) peas, frozen
- 8 white button mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) chives, chopped
- ⅔ cups (170 mL) 35% (whipping) cream
- ½ lb (0.3 kg) puff pastry or ½ lb (0.3 kg) prepared pie pastry flour, (to roll dough)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- ½ cup (125 mL) Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large frying pan, sauté cubed chicken in oil over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes before adding all of the vegetables. Continue cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 35% cream to
panand cook down until almost all the liquid is gone. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- While the chicken mixture cools, roll out pie crust in 4 18 cm (7in.) circles on a floured surface. Divide the chicken and vegetable mixture in 4 and place in the middle of each pastry circle.
- Cover with Gruyère, fold the crust over filling in a half-circle and seal the edges with a fork.
beateneggs onto each turnover and cut small slits in top diagonally to vent. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with an artichoke and asparagus salad.
Serving size: 275g Calories: 670 Saturated fat: 16g Carbohydrates: 34g Sugar: 4g Sodium: 730mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 24g Cholesterol: 150mg