The "So Canadian" Chicken Sandwich
This prizewinning sandwich uses grilled chicken and a homemade barbeque sauce to create maximum flavour. Maple syrup adds a delicate sweetness that makes this savoury sandwich taste out of this world. By Mitchell Horne (age 9), Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club, Toronto, ON Grand-prize winner of our 2006 Canada Day Chicken Challenge contest.
Author: Developed for CFC by Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), 4-5 oz each
- 4 slices old cheddar cheese
- 4 Kaiser roll(s), halved lettuce, leaves
Maple BBQ Sauce:
- 3 cloves garlic, finely-chopped
- 1 onion(s), finely-chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1½ cup (375 mL) ketchup
- ¼ cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sherry vinegar or 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 salt, pinch
- 1 pepper, pinch
- In a saucepan over medium heat cook garlic and onion in 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of hot oil until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add ketchup, maple syrup, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Add some water if sauce is too thick, or cook longer if sauce is too thin.
- Grill each breast 6-8 minutes over medium heat or until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Apply BBQ sauce after grilling is complete.
- Cut buns in half, garnish with lettuce on bottom half and cheese slice on top half. Add more BBQ sauce to chicken if desired.
Serving size: 520g Calories: 710 Fat: 18g Saturated fat: 6g Carbohydrates: 66g Sugar: 37g Sodium: 1740mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 73g Cholesterol: 180mg