Creamy Cabbage, Chicken & Egg Noodle Casserole
A perfect autumn dish for when the nights are just starting to have a chill in the air. This comforting casserole uses cabbage, poppy seeds and Dijon mustard to add a light tangy flavour to this dish. Torn rye bread goes perfectly as a topping for this recipe.
Author: Developed for CFC by Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc
- ½ lb (0.3 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups (500 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 cups (500 ml) egg noodles, fine
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) onions, diced
- 4 cups (1 litre) green cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp (5 ml) thyme, dried
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) poppy seeds
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- ½ cup (125 ml) sour cream, light
- 2 slices rye or 2 slices whole wheat bread
- ¼ cup (60 ml) parsley, fresh, minced cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook potato in broth until almost tender. Add egg noodles during
last5 minutes of cooking. Drain and reserve broth.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Melt 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp (20 ml) of butter in non-stick pan over
medium highheat. Sauté chicken with diced onion until soft and lightly browned.
- Add shredded cabbage, thyme, paprika, salt and black pepper. Sauté and stir until cabbage is wilted and beginning to brown.
- Add vinegar scraping up brown bits and cook until liquid has evaporated.
- Add cooked potatoes, egg noodles and reserved broth. Mix in poppy seeds, Dijon mustard and sour cream and stir to combine. Spray a 3 quart (3
litre) oblong baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray. Spread the casserole evenly in the dish.
- Make fresh
bread crumbsby ripping whole grain bread into very small pieces (i.e., smaller than dime size). Use clean hands to work remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) of butter into fresh bread crumbs and then toss in fresh parsley; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until bubbling and top is golden brown.
This recipe doubles and freezes well.
Serving size: 390 g Calories: 360 Fat: 13 g Saturated fat: 7 g Carbohydrates: 39 g Sugar: 3 g Sodium: 430 mg Fiber: 5 g Protein: 23 g Cholesterol: 75 mg