Roasted Eggplant Chicken Roll Ups
These tender stuffed eggplant roll ups can be made ahead and simply baked the next night when you come home from work. The tender juicy chicken is a perfect fit with creamy ricotta and provolone, it will make your mouth water.
Author: Emily Richards
Serves: Serves 4-6
- 1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless Alberta chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 large eggplant (about 2 lb/1 kg)
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian herb seasoning
- ½ cup (125 mL) ricotta cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded provolone cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each chopped fresh parsley and basil
- 1½ cups (375 mL) tomato basil pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Slice eggplant lengthwise into at least 8 slices. Combine 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the oil, oregano, half each of the salt and pepper and brush over eggplant slices. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast in 400 F (200 C) oven for about 20 minutes or until tender and golden. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in nonstick skillet. Cook onion, pepper and garlic for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add chicken, Italian herb seasoning and remaining salt and pepper; cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Let cool slightly. Stir in ricotta and provolone cheeses, parsley and basil.
- Divide chicken mixture among eggplant slices on one end. Roll up jelly roll style.
- Spread pasta sauce in 10 cup (2.5 L) baking dish and nestle eggplant roll ups, seam side down into sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; cover and bake in 375 F (185 C) oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 10 minutes or until light golden and sauce is bubbly.
Tip: If making ahead, simply nestle roll ups in sauce; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat as in recipe and keep covered for 30 minutes before uncovering.