Greek Yogurt Chicken & Lemon Rice
Author: Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc
Serves: Serves 4
- 4 tsp lemon zest, fresh, divided
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1 cup brown rice, long grain,dry
- 2 cups water or according to package directions for the rice
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain, 2% MF
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano, leaf, dried
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 large chicken breast, boneless, skinless (about 1 pound - 450 grams)
- ¼ tsp paprika, sweet
- 1 green onion, raw, thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove the zest from one lemon using a zester or a sharp knife to make 4 teaspoons (20 mL) zest. As you remove the yellow peel try to avoid removing the white pith which is bitter. Prepare 1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh lemon juice and set aside.
- Cook brown rice in unsalted water according to package directions. Add 1 teaspoon (5 mL) lemon zest and 3 tablespoons (45 mL) fresh lemon juice to cooking water at the beginning of cooking.
- In a medium bowl whisk together Greek yogurt, shredded parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon zest, minced garlic, dried oregano and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally making four thinner pieces. Add chicken to yogurt mixture and use a fork to turn and coat well. Place in baking dish sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray. Pour any leftover marinade over chicken. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered 35-45 minutes until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 165°F (74°C).
- To serve place a piece of the Greek yogurt chicken over top of the lemony brown rice. Garnish with finely sliced green onion (optional garnish).
Serving size: 457 g Calories: 330 Fat: 7 g Saturated fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 26 g Sugar: 2 g Sodium: 279 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 40 g Cholesterol: 85 mg