Grilled Chicken, Creamed Corn and Cilantro Coleslaw Sandwich
Author: Ricardo Cuisine
Serves: 4 Servings
- 2 cups (500 mL) (500 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) crushed black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved into thin cutlets (about ¾ lb/340 g)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) (15 ml) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) (150 g) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) (45 ml) 35% heavy cream
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) (45 ml) milk
- 6 cups (1.5 L) (510 g) green cabbage, thinly sliced with a mandoline
- 1 cup (250 mL) (30 g) cilantro, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) (30 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) (30 ml) canola oil
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 4 sandwich buns
- In a small saucepan, bring ¼ cup (60 ml) of the water to a boil with the brown sugar and salt. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the pepper, bay leaf and the remaining water (1 ¾ cup /440 ml). Let cool completely.
- Place the chicken cutlets in the brine. Place a plate on the chicken to create a weight and keep them completely submerged. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, soften the onion and garlic in the butter. Add the corn, cream, and milk. Continue cooking for 15 minutes or until the corn is tender.
- In a food processor, purée all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer into a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high. Oil the grate.
- Drain the chicken cutlets. Pat dry with a paper towel. Grill the cutlets for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Cut the cutlets in half, if needed. Grill the buns, if desired.
- Spread the creamed corn on the buns and add the chicken. Garnish with the coleslaw, to taste. Close the buns.