Nashville Hot Fried Chicken
Juicy, crispy, Nashville Hot Chicken (customizable spicy fried chicken) is the only fried chicken recipe you will ever need! Leave off the Nashville Hot Sauce for <g class="gr_ gr_91 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="91" data-gr-id="91">flavor</g> bursting chicken or add more or less Sauce to customize how spicy you want it. Either way, you won’t be able to resist this electrifying easier-than-you-think fried chicken!
Author: Reposted and revised from Carlsbad Cravings.com
Serves: 6 to 8
- 4 to 5 lb
bone inchicken pieces (drumsticks, wings, split breasts cut in half, and/or thighs, trimmed)
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1½ tablespoons Spice Rub (in directions)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried crushed oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp ground red cayenne pepper
- 1Buttermilk Egg Wash
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 1Flour Breading
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Remaining Spice Rub (in directions)
Nashville Hot Sauce
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp ground red cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Spice Rub (in directions)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- Whisk all of the spice rub seasonings together in a small bowl. Remove 1½ tablespoons spice rub to a large bowl along with 2 cups buttermilk and 2 bay leaves. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove 1 tsp spice rub to a medium bowl for your Nashville Hot Sauce. Stir in all remaining Nashville Hot Sauce ingredients except butter (oil will be separated – you will combine later).
- Prepare your buttermilk egg wash by whisking 2 eggs together with 1 cup buttermilk and ¼ cup hot sauce in a medium bowl.
- Prepare flour breading by whisking 3½ cups flour, 1 tbsp baking powder and all remaining spice rub spices together in a large bowl.
- Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, dredge chicken in flour, shake
ofany excess, coat in buttermilk egg wash, shake ofany excess, then dredge once more in flour, shake ofany excess and place chicken on a baking rack. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Add enough vegetable oil to your dutch oven until oil measures 3 inches deep. Heat over
medium highheat until oil registers 375°F. Add 3 to 4 chicken pieces to your dutch oven in a single layer, cover, and cook 7 minutes. Flip chicken over, coverand continue to fry until chicken’s internal temperature reaches 160°F or 165°F for dark meat, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove fried chicken to paper towel lined baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- Meanwhile, vigorously whisk in melted butter to your Nashville Hot Sauce until smooth. Let chicken cool slightly then brush with
desiredamount of sauce. You can adjust the spiciness of your chicken by simply adding more or less Nashville Hot Sauce.