Chimichurri with Grilled Chicken & Veggies
Family-style eating empowers kids to build a plate they feel confident they can enjoy. It encourages sharing, role modelling, and being adventurous with food!” - Registered Dietitian, Emily Mardell
Author: Emily Mardell
Serves: Serves 4 - 6
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) fresh Italian parsley
- 1 cup (250ml) fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup (60ml) fresh oregano or 1 tbsp (15ml) dried
- ½ medium red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp (10ml) red pepper flakes
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Chicken & Veggies:
- 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large red onion, sliced as rings
- 2 small zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 3 roma tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare chimichurri sauce. In a large food processor combine parsley, cilantro and oregano. Be sure to remove woody stems beforehand. Pulse the herb mixture until chopped small and uniform. Add the chopped herbs to a medium bowl.
- Add garlic and onion to the food processor, and pulse until finely minced. Add chopped onion and garlic to the herb mixture.
- Season mixture with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Squeeze lemon and add juice to the bowl. Add vinegar and olive oil. Stir to combine sauce. Refrigerate sauce and enjoy for up to one week.
- Preheat cast iron skillet on medium high. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Grill chicken until golden brown and fully cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Set aside to rest. Insert the thermometer in the thickest part of the meat. Chicken pieces should be cooked to 74 degrees Celsius (165°F).
- Coat vegetables with 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and salt and pepper. Add vegetables to a hot skillet and grill for 2-4 minutes until charred and tender.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with a side of chimichurri sauce and warm whole-grain pita bread, or steamed jasmine rice.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs are loaded with flavour and quickly grill in less than 15 minutes. Grilling is a time-savvy cooking method that helps keep protein lean, and maximize nutrition.
Serving size: based on 3 oz. grilled chicken thighs and 1 cup grilled vegetables Calories: 270 Fat: 12 grams Carbohydrates: 3 grams Protein: 23 grams