Spicy Bean Salad
Author: Alberta Chicken Producers
Serves: 4 to 6
For Spicy Bean Salad
- 1 lb (500 g) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- canola oil
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 cups of shredded romaine lettuce
- 19 oz (540 ml) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup grated jalapeno jack cheese
- 1½ cups tortilla chips, crumbled
For Cilantro Dressing
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced,
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- salt and cracked pepper
To Make Cilantro Dressing
- Put all the ingredients in a jar and shake until well combined.
To Make Spicy Bean Salad
- Preheat a barbecue, electric grill or a grill pan to medium high.
- Brush each chicken breast with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook on the preheated greased grill for about 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into thin slices.
- Place the lettuce on a serving platter.
- Scatter the beans, chicken, onion, tomatoes and cheese over the lettuce.
- Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with tortilla chips.
Make Ahead: The salad is best made just before serving. The dressing can be made a day ahead and stored in a jar in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving.