Vij's Yogurt and Tamarind Marinated Grilled Chicken
Author: Vikram Vij
Serves: Serves 4 - 6
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 3 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garam masala or 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless chicken thighs, approx 6 oz per serving
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine the yogurt, tamarind, garlic, canola, salt, cayenne and garam massala.
- Add the chicken, mix and make sure the chicken is covered with the marinade.
- Cover and marinate for a minimum of 4 hours but 8 is prefered.
- Preheat a grill, barbecue or stovetop cast-iron grill to high heat (if doing this indoors make sure you switch on your exhaust fan, there will be smoke whilst grilling on the high heat. (grill or bbq for best result)
- Grill the thighs 2 minutes on each side, then again 2 minutes on each side.
- Check or the thighs are done, if still pink continue grilling.
- Serve with the lemon wedges.
Tamarind paste should be as thick as jam, if thinner use up to 1 tablespoon more.
Serving size: 4 - 6